The Commission asks for registration of case of causing death by negligence against DLF, JLL, Unnati Agency
The National Commission for Safai Karamcharis made a spot visit on 10th September, 2018 to get a first hand report on the incident in which four man died while cleaning a sewage treatment plant in Moti Nagar, New Delhi. Following concerned officers also joined NCSK team at spot:
- Chief Secretary, Delhi Government
- DM, West District
- DCP and other Police officers, West District
- Officers from Municipal Corporation, (West Zone)
- Officers from Jal Board Delhi
At the spot, the representative from DLF informed that the sewage treatment plant is managed by JLL which is a service firm and he assured that JLL will take all measures to take care of the families that have been affected.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (west) said that under section 304 A, FIR has been registered at Moti Nagar police station and the process is on for identifying those responsible for the deaths. The four deceased have been identified as Umesh, Raja, Pankaj and Sarfaraj. The fifth worker, Vishal, has been admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of RML Hospital. The victims were aged between 22 and 30 years. Two died on the spot; the others were declared dead after being brought to the hospital.
On the basis of discussion, the Commission has noticed that the cleaning of sewage treatment plant of the DLF Capital Greens was taken up without safety equipment, Supervisory Team, Ambulance with Doctor, etc. which shows a clear violation of Provision of “The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act 2013” and also the Supreme Court Judgement dated 27.3.2014.
- Hence, a case of causing death by negligence and under the provision of “The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act 2013” and under relevant Sections of Indian Penal Code may be registered against DLF, JLL, Unnati Agency after identifying those responsible for the deaths, and arrest them accordingly.
The Commission also observed that this is not the first incident such incident has taken place in the city earlier also. Hence, this matter will take up with the concernment departments for solution of nonstop sewer deaths in Delhi and action against the agencies that violate Act.
The Chairman of NCSK has also directed to the following department for needful action on priority
- DM West district to release a payment of Rs10.00 lakhs as compensation to the dependent family members of victims immediately.
- Besides, factual report has already been called from the concerned departments by the Commission.
On Sunday (9.9.2018), four men died and one was critically injured while cleaning a sewage treatment plant in Moti Nagar, West District, New Delhi. The incident took place around 1530 hrs, when the five men, stepped into a deep sewage treatment plant of the DLF Capital Greens, a residential complex in Moti Nagar.
The National Commission for Safai Karamcharis has been mandated to monitor the implementation of “The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act 2013 and also the Supreme Court Judgement dated 27.3.2014 in WP © No. 583 of 2003 in Safai Karamcharis Andolan Vs UOI regarding payment of Rs10.00 lakhs as compensation to the dependent family members of sewer/septic death cases.
Let’s block ads! (Why?)